Thursday 28 April 2011

I'm suffering #2 Petrification.

Firstly, let me assure you that I LOVE my trilogy, and I love book two even more than book one; it has been written in #2draft for the last *coughs with embarassment* year and a half. So why then am I finding yet another day slip by without having made a move to getting it to final edit?

The answer is, I don't know. It is ready to be finished. Book One has gone down a storm - surely I should be flying high on a cloud of euphoric productivity; bashing these keys, cutting, rewriting etc but .... I'm not.

However, I have written some awesome short stories, some of which are even going to be published, won writing contests, met some AMAZING writing buddies on Twitter, developed a fab website, decorated my home, got promoted at work .... BUT .... Hmm, not a lot of pushing towards finishing Book Two but clear evidence of displacement activities!

Maybe it's because, subconsciously, I'm bricking it! What if #2 disappoints? #feels rushed? (yes I know it's been written and banked for 18 mths, had two edits etc) Blah blah blah.

I've read about this - #2 petrificationitis. I think maybe I have it.

I've found and created a great countdown device; fooling myself that it was a cute marketing tool but in truth, I've put it on my blog to try and startle me into action. It's having an effect ... I'm bricking it EVEN more ... but still in the ten days it's been up, I still haven't opened my file.

And now look - I'm writing blog posts about wasting my time. Well at least the irony makes me smile.

So over to you; time to give me your advice. Share your experiences with me and reassure me that everything is going to be just fine!

1 comment:

  1. Everything is going to be just fine!

    Of course, that's rich coming from me. I've written the beginning of All Hallows Moon four times now! I'm sure it'll work out, but it doesn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete