Wednesday 1 June 2011

'Unearthly' by Cynthia Hand.

Synopsis:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Review:
I happened to start reading this during a very long hospital appointment wait - boy was I glad I'd stuffed this in my bag on the way out the door! I found it completely absorbing from the start. Within pages I knew I was in the sure and talented hands of an accomplished writer.

The first person present tense approach made it easy to live Clara's life through her eyes. Christian is a handsome protagonist, and the focus of her 'purpose' but there is a sense right from the beginning that he is not all what he seems to be - but not in the recently established way.

Tucker, a handsome Rodeo boy avoids being a cliche in the most delightful manner and makes an interesting character - in some ways I think he is more the hero of this book than Christian.

My only criticisms are so minor and would *spoiler* that I'm not going to bother being pinickity.

A great read, devoured in a couple of sittings and I'm looking forward with anticipation to reading more of Cynthia's work.

Rating: 4.5 /5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment