Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Salem Witch Society by K.N. Shields


The Salem Witch SocietyThe Salem Witch Society by K.N. Shields
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't too sure when I first started reading it. I though the style was a little clunky and for a novel published by such a prestigious publisher, I thought that the editing had not done the author's story justice - however I persevered and I'm really pleased that I did. The storytelling and the characterisation in the novel are really good and I particularly enjoyed the refreshing and complex character of Percival Grey.

The links to Salem (which as suggested by the title is meant to be the main underpinning of the book) didn't quite fit as well as they might and if I'm really honest, I skipped over some of the faithful reproductions of the original trial notes as they got in the way of the story; it was a bit like the author really wanted to demonstrate the detailed research they had done and was afraid that we might miss it, even though it was artfully woven into other parts of the story.

I shall definitely be buying the second book as the character of Percival Grey really captured my imagination and I want to read more. This is a recommended read although it didn't blow me away.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment