Thursday 28 May 2015

Release day reflections.


In October 2010 I published my first book 'The Forest of Adventures'. I could never have ever dreamed what a crazy, friend-filled, positive, creative journey that would take me on.

25,000+ book sales on (yep, I think that finally validates the vanity publishing cynics) a few lovely novel awards, a handful of shorts published in respected e-zines and anthologies, and several books later, I reach today. Founder of a small press house, helping others to craft and publish their stories without financially exploiting their dreams, heading off to Nashville to give an X-change of ideas talk on British YA and to meet some of the incredible friends I have made along the way, and.... the release of my sixth Young Adult novel, 'Vengeance', the second book in my new seven book series, 'The Meadowsweet Chronicles'.

It's not a what you'd claim to be a financially rewarding life but it is so incredibly rich and rewarding in other ways that I can't imagine not having typed those first words.

It's a year since I took the leap of faith and handed in my resignation for the day job; one which I truly loved but for various reasons wasn't allowing me or my family to flourish. Now I fulfil my love of teaching by doing 1 to 1 tutoring for the GCSE and A-Level course, and that too is a joy - it's an incredible privilege to see a young person crippled by doubt and gaps in their education grow in confidence and skills week on week, and for them to find a comfortable, happy place with a subject I breathe for.

It's not been a straight trajectory of positivity; there have been many moments of self-doubt and self-criticism, but mostly this lovely author-life has blessed me with incredible friendships, people who build rather than knock down: Friends who have become part of a world-spread extended family. And most of all, it allows me to spend precious time growing our girlies - although, trust me, not a lot of 'authoring' gets done when Betty is around!

www.katiemjohn.com

OUT TODAY
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XW7BEUI?*Version*=1&*entries*=0
 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely, upbeat post - congratulations on all your successes! It gives me hope that one day I'll also be able to write full time :)

    ReplyDelete