Saturday 6 August 2011

Short & Sweet Holiday Book Reviews # I

MATCHED by Ally Condie



I thought this was techinically brilliant: Condie is superb at short impactive / metaphorical sentences which drive the plot forward at an incredible pace. I read this in two sittings, it was that compulsive. Loved the setting and scenario. Thought it was a very polished work with a great deal of scope.

I was somehow slightly disappointed that the bold decision had not been made to make this into a single book - it would have suited it's dystopic style and heritage. I'm thinking that perhaps it dilutes the power this book might have had.

I thought that the plot, structure, narrative was excellent but I didn't entirely think the characterisation was as strong as the rest of it - which was a pity.

Never the less, to give this anything less than a five star would have been mean and over critical.

I will certainly be checking out more of Condie's work and I strongly recommend this as a read.


5/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I have had Matched to read for ages! I love the cover! Might have to up this up the TRL :)

    Megan

    ReplyDelete